Saturday, February 17, 2007

Deadlines

Been a busy week but now deadlines have been met, new writing is out in the universe and things are settling down a bit. Of course, met deadlines don't mean I can do nothing. No, the whole point of deadlines is to get things out there so you can work on new things. For me, that means I can now focus on the novel in progress.

It's been hard not working on the current novel for the last couple of weeks while I met these deadlines, like good friends I haven't been able to see in a bit. I dropped off the completed novel at Jesperson yesterday and then went straight to Starbucks where I had a Cinammon Dolce Latte and got right back into the swing of things with the characters in A Few Kinds of Wrong. You know a book is going well when you find it hard to stay away from the writing, when the characters call out to you while you're taking the dishes out of the dishwasher, or you hear their songs on the radio and a part of you gets excited, anxious to get back to them and see what they're going to do.

And there are still more deadlines—freelance technical writing to get done, another writing contest deadline on Monday, and stuff to edit for WORD, the newsletter of the Writers' Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador. But the big ones are out of the way, the ones that have been looming over my head. and today all I have to do is go sliding with my family and then out for a late Valentine's Day supper this evening. But I have a feeling I'll be doing some writing as well, just to see what those old friends are up to.

3 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Cam @ArcadiaTrails said...

Hi Tina!
I didn't know you had a blog. I just googled your book & name so that I could get a picture of your book cover, because I'm planning on reviewing it on my blog soon.

I finally got a chance to start reading it this week. I started on Thursday and it was so good that I sat and read half of it that night! I didn't have as much time yesterday but am hoping that either tonight or tomorrow I can finish it.

I just wanted to say that I really, really like it! I'm not just saying that, either. It takes a good book for me to ditch everything else in order to sit and read 100+ pages in one night! It was just that much of a page-turner. I like that it moves quickly; I don't like to get bogged down in too much detail.

I've been laughing all the way through it, and I even teared up once. It's well-written. I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about Canada & especially Newfoundland...I had no idea "Newfies" were so looked down upon! Is it really that bad? It kind of reminds me of how most of the northern US views Southerners.

Anyway...I just wanted to comment and let you know how much I'm enjoying the book, and that I'm planning on giving it a review when I finish! It's so fun reading a book by someone I "know"——especially when it's objectively a good read!

I miss you! I'm going to bookmark your blog and try to keep up with you here. :) Come say hi to the girls when you get a chance; everyone misses you.

Love, Cam

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Tina Chaulk said...

Camalamadingdong!!!! It is so good to hear from you. I miss you ladies too.

Thanks so much for your comments about the book. It is interesting to get the perspective of someone who doesn't live here.

Newfoundlanders have often been looked down on but certainly not by everyone and I think it is getting much better. When you have so many smart, talented, and funny people in one place, people can't help but notice and believe me, this place is blocked with smart, talented and funny people.

I'm going to drop by and say hi now. See you there.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Cam @ArcadiaTrails said...

Oh yeah, I forget that the book is set in the 80s...things have probably changed, huh?

Yay! I'll look for you next time I'm at KIR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home