Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Governor General enters cyberspace

Today's youth are flocking to the Internet to read about what is happening and to be heard themselves. Myspace, Livejournal, Blogger, and MSN Messenger, (also Blue Kaffee locally) to name but a few, are ways people communicate today. So now Governor General Michaƫlle Jean is launching her own web site, complete with chat sessions, moderated forums and a blog. And why not? I think it is a great idea to bring the youth into discussions about Canadian current events. I'm not sure they'll be flocking there in droves but they might. It's about time the Canadian Establishment realized that times are changing and the web is the new medium. The website has the tagline: "Breaking Down Solitudes" and Jean says she wants to break down all solitudes, and hopes the site "will be a useful tool to allow Canadians of all ages and from all walks of life to talk to one another and break down solitudes". Good on her, I say, even though I am guessing much of the discussion will revolve around the position of GG itself and whether or not we need it anymore. My two cents is that I think the GG office is a lot of pomp and circumstance but I think this Governor-General seems to be intent on bridging the divides in this country and if someone can do that, someone who is not a politician and does not have to worry about getting elected again, then I think she should. At least for now, because of Michaƫlle Jean herself, I am in support of the office of the Governor General.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home