Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Postpartum depression on Scrubs

Scrubs is one of my favourite shows on TV and one of the only comedies ever that I can guarantee I will have at least two or three out loud laughs (usually more) during each episode . This episode had me in tears in more way than one, having experienced postpartum depression myself (although I too called it "the weepies"). I was literally laughing and crying at the same time while watching it. It also contains the single best line about Tom Cruise I have heard since South Park's infamous Scientology episode.

1 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Postpartum depression is a chafing hell of wacked out needs, wet tits and gnawing failure: "I have this beautiful baby utterly dependent on my and I'm not happy; I must be a bad mother." Mine was delayed by a few months. I'd been sick while carrying my second daughter , and she was born slightly premature. She needed some time in NICU, but nothing serious by preemie standards. The pregnancy was draining, the illness painful. And we had landlord trouble. I kept everyone on an even heel. Then maybe eight weeks after my daughter came home, when she was gaining weight and all sweet and happy and easy to take care of, I came across a photo of her when she was 2 days old in preemie pyjamas way too big, an IV in her scalp. (They do that with preemies.) Lost it. Collapsed on the stairs. Dragged myself much subdued through another few months, sought help when my daughter was 8 months. Two years of flattening Prozac; still not quite the same person I was beforehand. PPD is not something to toy with or underestimate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home