Thursday, January 11, 2007

Little Mosque on the Prairie gets record ratings

As I previously discussed, Little Mosque on the Prairie debuted this week on CBC. It got record ratings so CBC must be pleased. I found it funny, even laughed out loud a couple of times, but some things fell a little flat for me (the overacting local who was terrified when he stumbled on a prayer meeting and quickly dialled a terrorist hot line and was put on hold, for instance). I find it hard to base my opinions about any show on the pilot as there are so many things to introduce in that one half hour. All in all, I give it a thumbs up.

There were moments that seemed uniquely Canadian, like the reference to sending a potential terrorist to Syria (which I assumed was a reference to Maher Arar's horrific experience), but much of the show could probably translate to the US and other markets, which the CBC must be considering. There was even a blowhard, right-wing radio talkshow host, a la Rush Limbaugh to show us how inane being close-minded can be.

I have to say that there were parts where I could see myself doing something like was portrayed in the show. When the woman in the airport overhears the Muslim man on the phone using (in this case, perfectly innoncent) words like bombs and blowing away, I could see myself hearing that and being suspicious. I think my ears would perk up. While I probably would not report it to the authorities, I would notice it and maybe be a little nervous if I got on the plane with him. I think the media has taught us to be afraid and Little Mosque on the Prarie also showed (in maybe a little over-the-top way) how the media can fan the flames of fear amongst the public. So, the show made me laugh a couple of times but also made me look at my own preconceptions. I consider that a good half an hour and I will watch it again.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Table Mountains said...

7 more episodes. i liked it but wished the first could of spanned a hour to see the characters develop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home